Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Salmon of Capistrano

"Some place warm, a place where the beer flows like wine, where beautifulwomen instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.."

Last night we barbecued 1200 servings of salmon at an open house for the public. I was on the barbecue crew and spent 3.5 hours slinging fish. I inhaled a lot of smoke, got physically tired from the fast work, ate about a pound or two of delicious fish, and can neither confirm or deny that I may have had a couple of Coronas as well. After that I went for my second longest run of the week, which is currently seven miles. I thought I'd be paying the piper but aside from me being a little extra thirsty the run was quite pleasant and my times were good.

Like a lot of people, I tend to obsess about my diet and hydration leading up to a run. I usually make myself eat a big serving of oatmeal about an hour before my long runs and spend a lot of mental energy to those ends. Its nice to know that its possible to also have a good run after less than optimal preparation.

Is a salmon hangover possible?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love fishes (as opposed to the plural "fish" which is only used amongst conspecifics).

Some of my better long (and short) runs have been after drinking a couple beers. Hands down my best runs have been after having about 3000 calories at some mexican joint.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Mmmmmm! I do love fresh grilled salmon. I typically can't eat meat before a long run, but afterwards is fair game!

:) said...

Um...you are quoting my favorite movie...are we related somehow???

About Me: said...

actually ljisaak, you're most ON topic. and scott, i simply must insist you blog more as vegas approaches... (school, schmool i always say )
;-)

Scott in Washington said...

Now this is really starting to chap my hide. My blogging buddies are leaving me good comments and I'm not getting the notifications. I got partyrunner's notification but not her sister's. grumble grumble...

Anonymous said...

Austria huh? Gooday Mate!