Sunday, October 16, 2005

End of the Week Posting

Well, it was a mixed bag this week:

Oct 12, 2005 3.78
Oct 13, 2005 3.78
Oct 16, 2005 16.93

In some ways, the fact that I had a pretty good week, while having a bad one at the same time was a good sign to me, a sign that this training stuff is actually doing the trick. This week the same crud that had already done in the rest of my family caught up with me - chills, sore throat, coughing, blah, blah, you know the drill. My first scheduled run of the felt pretty good. The breathing and sweating was good for me I think. Wednesday I headed out for an eight miler and just couldn't get the steam built up. After one trip around the lake, I got in my car and drove home. The next day I stayed home from work, ill, something I do maybe once every three years.

Today's weekend long run was 16 on the schedule. I decided to go out the same route as the Turtledash half marathon but instead of being bussed out a ways, I decided to run from the house, out all the way and back. I was apprehensive about this plan for two reason; first, I still felt like hell, and secondly, this is the same route I took on Mr Toad's Wild Ride (when I got a wild hair a month or so after starting to run and decided to go out and hurt myself).

Today went a lot better. I went out really slow and had good support from my darling wife and dad, who both drove by and gave me fluids. At about mile eight I started to feel pretty good. I could breathe, the chills were burned out of me, and my energy levels were really good.

I'm not a medical doctor (OK, I'm not even a PHD), but I think my new theory is that exercise, when coupled with good diet and a lot of rest may be one way to kick a cold.

1 comment: