Sunday, October 02, 2005

Another Week Come and Gone

..and we're one week closer to boogie time in Vegas. I'm meeting my weekly training goals, am injury free, reasonably pain free, my gear is holding up, no sickness to speak of, know that millions of people have followed roughly the same path that I am headed down, one culminating in running a marathon, and yet I get really freaked out sometimes. I haven't had any running anxiety dreams that I can remember, but I'll be running along on a training run, listening to a podcast, listening to my breathing and the thud, thud, thud of my body moving along and suddenly I'll think something like, "If this were Vegas, I'd still have eighteen miles left! Holy crap! I've only run eight miles here and I'd have 18 left. What am I thinking!" Then I go back to telling myself how many millions of people have already done it, most not requiring hospitalization afterwards...

Another first on yesterday's long run - peeing in someone's yard. We are semi-rural out here, so finding a clump of concealing landscaping to duck into wasn't much of a challenge. Lucky for me, they waited until after I was done and back up on the road and had been running along innocently for at least three seconds before coming around the corner in their SUV, waiving at me sunnily and pulling into their driveway. "Hi! Never mind the pee on your bushes!"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of the time I was running with The Midget (Tammy Norman)...she dookied on some poor sods sod. Dropped trow and ran. I was so proud.

About Me: said...

it's funny you should mention...tonight on the way home from the gym i added up my mileage for the week in my head -- it was 3 miles short of a marathon. that was oddly, um, well, the word reassuring probably doesn't fit.

anyway, whatever you gotta do on long runs you know? overheard some guys yesterday at bike flea market discussing what to buy to wear -- this was of course based on whether you pee while you're riding or if you get off and do it.

vegas, here we come! glad you stayed on your program. you are my hero this week.

Unknown said...

yeah, like kap said, be thankful you didn't have to leave a steaming mile marker...

Scott in Washington said...

Hey, more mystery comments... I wonder how much I've been missing?

I guess it all comes down to how bad you want the win - PR or otherwise.