Thursday, August 11, 2005

Long Training Babble


playlist
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
So far I'm on track this week for my training runs.

Tuesday I was feeling pretty good by the time I got to running, in spite of not eating right or stretching enough, and so I decided to pick up the pace on my short run. Normally I make no effort what so ever to run any faster than my feet want to. Out of curiousity I decided to try to run a little faster and see what happened. I don't know if that was what caused it, the not stretching, the new shoes or what but man, did I get the worst shin pain I've had in a long time. It seemed to echo or reverberate with every footfall. I tried stopping to stretch a couple of times. Running on the grass seemed to help somewhat and it receded to a dull thump by about mile 2 or 2.5. I ended up running an 8.27 pace, which is about a minute lower per mile than usual but it wasn't fun. Maybe I'll try a fast run again next Tuesday and see if I can manage it with the shin soreness this time.

Yesterday I was still a little apprehensive and almost didn't go running but in the end decided to take the dogs and run on the road at our house, which means running hills, or more specifically one moderately sized hill up at the end. I went really slowly and felt my legs relax and loosen up in the first couple of miles. I ended up doing six miles and quit not because I was tired but because it was getting late and I'd said I would cook dinner.

Tonight is a moderately long trip around the lake. Woo hoo! Can't wait.

SD

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Most people, I think, do speed work on a very short distance basis. Fartleks and the like. Builds up cardio as well as getting those tree trunks swinging faster. Be cautious young Scott. I don't want to miss you at the marathon!

Scott in Washington said...

Oops! Fartleks, gotta run... I didn't think that was a real word until I looked it up. There is a running group called the Old Fartleks. Ha ha.

I don't want to waste my 90 buck admission fee either! There is a rubberized track here at work, maybe I'll keep my speedwork to a minimum and, well, on track.