Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Fly by Running Blog Post

We were gone for a three day weekend. I got my running in but not my blogging!

Week in recap:
The week before last, I really pushed it, piling on the miles during the week and then making a major jump forward on my long run. I've been tracking my training now for nine weeks now and running faster and longer with every week. I was also developing a collection of little twinges and aches so I decided to take a rest week. I still ran on all my assigned days but kept the distance and pushing to a minimum.

Aug 23, 2005 3.57
Aug 24, 2005 1
Aug 25, 2005 3.77
Aug 27, 2005 8


It seems to have worked. I'm happy to report a total lack of twinges, aches, pains, soreness or any other training related unpleasantness. Woo hoo! I feel tanned, rested, and ready for my first run of the week. I want to duplicate my week from before the rest week:

Aug 16, 2005 3.57
Aug 17, 2005 6.20
Aug 18, 2005 4.92
Aug 20, 2005 14.28

Forerunner update:
I took it with me to the weekend family reunion (which was with a group I see maybe once per decade and am not actually technically related to). I did eight slow miles in some very powdery sand, while listening to Steve Runner's recount of running the Falmoth (sp?) 10k road race - great stuff! The Garmin performed very well.

As recommended I set it to show my pace per lap and my lap distance to be one mile. I set it to beep at each mile but I’m probably going to cancel that as I have the ear buds in at the same time. After the run it was difficult to resist being antisocial and just sitting in the corner, playing with my new toy. I could see a simple little map, showing me leaving the beach house, crossing the dunes, and then running up and down the beach. The contour of the shore matched that of a map to be found in the house. I can’t wait to try out the recommended mapping software when I get all caught up (it could happen!). Thanks guys!

5 comments:

Danny said...

I want to be anti-social too! The more I read about them forerunner gadgets the closer I am to getting one. They really sound great.

Running used to take 30 minutes. Now it will take 3 hours with the loading on of maps, the stretching, the longer runs, the stretching again, the icing, the downloading of data, the analysing of data, and of course, the blogging. (I should shower in there at some point as well.)

I need more time for this!

Unknown said...

I run to force myself to shower...

Scott in Washington said...

I run to get away from Keith when he has been working with salmon all day and not showering.

3.6 miles in 28m 42sec. tonight - fastest time around the lake yet. Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Heah, how do you do those graph things. I like them.

Scott in Washington said...

Drew,

You know? I don't know. I use cool running to track my training totals. Its really convenient and better than any of the spreadsheets I evaluated. I also have gotten some really valuable info from their discussion forums. Anyway, they have graph tool. I just display the graph and then drag copy and paste the graph into my blogger posting. How does it work? I don't know. I've never even looked at the code view, taking the if it ain't broke approach.