Tuesday, July 26, 2005

What to goo, I mean do...

In training for my first marathon, I'm just started to pass the point where my long runs are exceeding an hour. The general consensus seems to be that this is about the time I should be considering the use of goo, energy replacing drinks, etc. The consensus also holds that the best way to determine what is best for you is to try different things on your long runs (not rocket science I guess).

I have read a few people's posts, making reference to adding sugar and salt to gatorade. That sounds reasonable to me, and besides, I'm cheap! Has anyone tried this? Do you have a recipe that works well for you?

2 comments:

Scott in Washington said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott in Washington said...

"Scott,

Just saw your Gu post, too. I wouldn't add just plain salt or sugar
to Gatorade, since in their raw forms, they might mess with your
stomach and really affect the flavor or the drink. In the past when
I've been tight on funds for GU, I've just squeezed a bunch of honey
into a bottle of Gatorade (the Lemon-Lime flavored one - a bunch is a
subjective term - about a tablespoon full per 24 oz of Gatorade, or to
taste - shake WELL) and ran with a bottle in my hand. It's a great
taste and the honey has a much slower sugar release than anything
processed that you can buy on the market.

Give that a shot and see if you like it.

Jeff"