Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Quick and Easy Day

Short run today. According to Hal Higdon I'm supposed to start my training schedule with 3 mile runs during the week and a longer one on the weekends. I've been doing 3.57 to 4.5 most days for the past couple of months and the 7 milers on the weeekends are getting pretty easy so I'm feeling pretty good going into the beginning of my training schedule for Vegas.

The one thing I'm not completely okay with is that after long runs I sometimes have some shin soreness. This doesn't really bother me except that I don't want it to get worse. Even though my shoes seem to still be in good shape, I should probably go get new ones and keep track of how many miles I put on them. I'm stretching before and after runs, trying to eat right and get enough sleep, and I try to do warmup exercises throughout the day before running - like getting up from my desk and walking across campus rather than calling someone. Are these ice baths I hear people talking about really effective?

1 comment:

Scott in Washington said...

"Just saw your running blog today, and read the latest entry about your
shins. It wouldn't let me post a comments, so I thought I'd email.
When I've had shin pain in the past, I've typically spent time icing
immediately after a run. Ice bathes might do the same thing, but I've
only used those for preventative measures. Ibuprofin right after a
run will help reduce inflammation as well, but be careful not to use
it to mask pain, and if the shins get really sore, back off on the
training and intensity a bit.

I use http://www.coolrunning.com to track my mileage, workouts and how
many miles a pair of shoes has. That might be helpful to you in
determining when you need to retire a pair. I typically will shelve
them when they get close to 400 miles.

One other thing, if you're comfortable doing the 4+ mile runs
throughout the week, you might want to keep up that mileage and wait
for the Hal Higdon plan to catch up to your shortest run distance,
rather than drop your runs down to 3 miles.

All of this is IMHO, of course and YMMV."