Wednesday, July 27, 2005

How not to get fleeced?

I just posted the following question in the basics forum on coolrunning.com. Anybody care to comment here?

I have run for exercise and relaxation for many years but have never put much thought into it. I buy shoes at the department store when my old ones start looking shabby and just go running without thinking much about it. Now I am beginning to train for my first marathon. I am finding that there is a highly developed world of training regimes, diet, and equipment that I've never paid any attention to.

This coming Sunday I will go to the regional running stuff store to have my stride analyzed and then buy my first pair of specialized shoes, technical socks, and hopefully a hat that will absorb sweat and keep rain out of my face, but not retain much heat. I'll also buy a range of gels and sport drinks to experiment with as my runs are now starting to go longer than an hour.

I'm looking for advice on pitfalls to avoid with the salespeople, products or brands to watch out for (negative or positive), and a headsup on whats important and whats a waste of money.

Thanks in advance,
SD

1 comment:

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Some suggestions:
If you are short on $$$. Go to a reputable place and get them to recommend which runners you should wear and tell them you will think about it. Acutally if you are not sure which places are good, try a couple to see if the recommend similar shoes. Then find a place that sells the same model but for less (usually it is last years runner) so they can sometimes be up to half off.

Departments stores like Walmart now sell tech shirts and light weight shorts so you can get running clothes their. Don't cheap out on socks. Good socks go along way to keeping your feet comfortable during a long run.

Not a bad idea to have enough gear to run like 4 days in a row and then wash it all at once. I hate that my favs are always in the laundry so somedays I just wear em over and over - no wonder I often run alone...lol.

If you have areas that chaff/rub - stick deodarant - the white stuff works as well and is a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell at the stores...helps with those ummm odors as well. :-)