Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Watch It Scott!

I'm on the Higdon training schedule so I'm supposed to do three short runs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays and a long run on the weekend with some cross training. I'm in the stage right now where I'm moving from casual, random running for exercise to training for a marathon. It’s exciting and I've been increasing my distances more quickly than the recommended 10% or less per week. Up until now I have gotten away with it. I think I get away with a lot, relatively speaking because I have a fairly good build for running.

This past week I gave myself a bit of a scare. I ran farther than I was supposed to on Saturday and then, because I knew I was going have a 14 or 15 hour work day on Tuesday, I decided to run Monday instead of Tuesday. I didn’t eat very well that day or hydrate sufficiently. When I got to the lake I just started running without any real warm up or my usual stretching. A couple of miles into the run, I couldn’t keep my breath, my ankles and shins were aching and the knee that always hurts before the other one started hurting. I ended up walking up to the foot bridge and cutting back across to my car. Today my knee still aches a wee bit and my Achilles tendons and shins are a little sore.

I am just at the very beginning of training for a run that is in a whole distance class beyond the 14 mile longest run I’ve done in the not too recent past. I need to get diligent and attentive about training. I’ve been reading other running blogs and there seems to be a whole world of stuff I don’t know. I used to just get out and run…..

No comments: