Thursday, July 28, 2005

Running Meme

Long (for me anyway) run in the hot last night - 7.14 in 1:13, twice around the lake. I made it through three episodes of Science Friday and generally enjoyed myself.

I picked this up off Stephanie and Flatman's sites and thought I'd answer the questions myself.

Q: What are you training for now?
A: Las Vegas Marathon, Dec 4th


Q: If you are raising money for a cause, what is it and why is that cause important to you?
A: I am not fundraising presently and am generally not much of a fund raiser. I just really hate asking people for money. I do like volunteering though and do that semi-frequently. Previous causes I've supported include breast cancer, Amer. Lung Assoc. in ending polio. I give blood but can bring myself to ask people to pledge. Wierd, huh?


Q: What is the furthest distance you've run in your training and what is the furthest distance you will run before your event?
A: I ran 14.5 miles several times in a two month period in 1993. The longest I've run so far for my marathon training (starting officially 08/01/05) is seven miles. I'm only supposed to do 20 miles for my longest training run but I'll probably end up doing the full 26.2 before getting on that plane.


Q:What is your favorite flavor of gu? (or other sports gel)
A: I haven't actually tried any of the gels, caps, or drinks yet. This Sunday will be my first trip to a 'real' running store where I intend to purchase a range to experiment with.


Q: How many days a week do you run?
A: My Higdon Novice training plan calls for four days a week running and one day of cross training. So far my cross training has involved activities such as mowing the lawn, hauling wood, pounding nails, etc. around our 70 yr old house. Pretty lame.


Q: Are you injured in any way right now? If so,what are you doing about it?
A: Nope! I get my fair share of aches and pains but so far have been able to avoid anything resembling an injury.


Q:What is one item of running clothing/gear (shoes don't count) you can't run without?
A: Ipod Shuffle. I'm a news/talk show junkie who now has a 10 minute commute so I get my talk on while running. I'm curious about forerunners but can't say from experience whether one would become mandatory equipment for me. I have one friend who stopped wearing his after a while because he got sick of knowing and just wanted to runnnn.


Q: Do you have a talisman you are planning on taking to your event? If so, tell us!
A: Remember the Brady Bunch episode where they went to Hawaii and the kids got hold of that little tiki talisman that brought them all bad luck. At the surfing competition, Cindy was all like, Noooooo! That scared the crap out of me as a little kid. Google tells me that there were actually three hawaii episodes and that Don Ho had a cameo. Also, remember Tiger the dog? In real life, Tiger met an untimely end under the wheels of a florist's truck.


Q: Share one thing about yourself we don't know.
A: I love making things with my hands. I share studio space with another potter and have some of my work in a little local gallery.

No comments: