Saturday, December 10, 2005

Reasons to run

I feel pretty good today - completely recovered from running a marathon last Sunday. I worked a half day, did some Christmas shopping, and visited the pottery studio. After that I cut, split and hauled five loads of firewood. I have five foot lengths in the shed that I cut up throughout the winter instead of having to do all the work in the summer. The stairs are five up, a landing and then twelve more. Each load is in a four foot long tub that when filled is about all I can manage to hold in my arms and still walk up the stairs. I did five loads and quit because of lack of light, not because I broke a sweat or was even remotely tired.

So that’s one good reason to keep running. Last winter, five loads would have made me very tired. Like Drew, I want to keep up with my kids, and hopefully my grandkids. I don't want to live my life in a state of weakness where something as simple as swinging a splitting maul or walking up a flight of stairs makes me tired. Eventually I will die, but as the quote on Will's site goes, "Death catches us all, but when he catches up with me, that bastard is going to be sweaty and out of breath."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to write a "why I run" post. And I do love the aerobic health pan-benefit thingo. It's like mathematics if you were to do anything scientific.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I don't think I was hauling wood the next week after the marathon. I guess it works as recovery training. Sounds like you are back in the game now. I loved your comment in an earlier post about carrying the medal around in your pocket. Made me smile.

About Me: said...

hey Scott
glad to hear everythig seems to be in order. and yes, what wonderful reasons to run. im planning to be my kids pee wee football coach. at the rate i'm going, that'll be when i'm like nearly 60. but no matter. if i keep running, i should be able to keep up with the little tykes.

congrats again!

Deene said...

preparing firewood is one heck of a way to stay in shape - from collecting and hauling it to sawing/chopping and splitting. it's a complete workout.

Black Knight said...

Compliments for the marathon. A good final time! When the next one?

psbowe said...

You and my hubby should get together to cut firewood! That's what he does for not only for us but also for some elders too. He loves to help them out.