Monday, December 05, 2005

Marathon Recap


The Start
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.

I’ll try to keep my race report short. A lot of the observations I had have already been reported by my brother and sister bloggers who ran Vegas.

My stats according to the Forerunner:

Time run:
4:05:47
Distance Traveled:
26.33 (including running out into the bushes a couple of times)




fireworks
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
Calories burned: 4539

Other Stats:
Most number of buffet visits in one 24 hour period: 3
# beers drank b4 run: too many
After racing: too many










Yellow, Orange, Red, in steady progression
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.




I don't know
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.












Mile Times:

Mile 1 – 7:48 Mile 11 – 9:10 Mile 21 – 9:07

Mile 2 – 12:23 (!!) Mile 12 – 8:55 Mile 22 – 8:49

Mile 3 – 9:28 Mile 13 – 9:14 Mile 23 – 9:09

Mile 4 – 9:53 Mile 14 – 8:55 Mile 24 – 9:52

Mile 5 – 9:56 Mile 15 – 8:47 Mile 25 – 10:12

Mile 6 – 11:00 Mile 16 – 8:48 Mile 26 – 10:21

Mile 7 – 9:25 Mile 17 – 8:51 Mile .2 – 1.33

Mile 8 – 8:36 Mile 18 – 9:41 .

Mile 9 – 8:45 Mile 19 – 8:59 .

Mile 10 – 8:43 Mile 20 – 9:13 .









All in all it was an awesome experience – one of a handful I’ve had in life so far I’d say – definitely in the top five hardest things I’ve ever done. We got in Thursday night and left Monday afternoon. Thursday night we were alone – no kid, no friends, no family, aloooonnnnneeee. It was very nice because it happens so rarely. Friday and Saturday we had plenty of time to sample the attractions of Vegas. I think I got my fill of that town for a good long time. Despite all the last minute plan changes Saturday, we got to have a nice meal and meet with the blog people and then get to bed by nine. I slept from about 10 to 4 and amazingly didn’t stress too much. By the time I got to the lobby at 4:20, Jeff the super trooper had already been waiting for me there a half hour. He had the traffic figured out and deposited me at Mandalay by 4:30. I mostly sat inside for next hour drinking complimentary warm water.




Pursued by the little people
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.

Pursued by the Little People:
I had just stolen a golden head from one of their temples and they were trying to stick me with poison darts.









To the woman who told me not to peek while she and I peed behind some construction equipment at about mile 4; I didn’t

To the five women who were walking with their arms interlocked at mile 5; please let me know what marathons you will be obstructing in the future so I can not run them.




Checking my pace
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
Did this a lot... I think this was around mile 18 and I think thats DREW behind me.













Mile 13???
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
When was it we ran under the boom arm photographer. I tried not to have my tongue hanging out.












Goo makes me want to hurl and yet gives me the energy to keep going - its a love/hate thing...

As the others have already attested, the run itself was amazing. I think they should have done a better job of organizing the start. Maybe instead of telling us how cool it was to have been an Olympian competitor, the announcer could have spent more time telling the walkers to get to the back and the faster runners to the front. Nevertheless, by the time the first runners were away, I was finding a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye – just for being allowed to be involved in something so cool – an emotion that revived itself regularly between the start and about mile 18.

Stay Tuned - Real race report to follow...





PICT0730
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
At this point (mile 7), I loved the whole world.














PICT0728
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
She was so cute with her orange ribbons and her blogger shirt.














Get it off me!
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
I think Black Beard the Pirate may be immediately to the left of 'Talia.











I think at this point she is getting goo and Advil. I'm not sure.

PICT0723
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shots. I will never forget this day.

I'll never forget the thrill of opening the package containing the shirt you designed.

I'll never forget the shock of realizing you were running directly in front of me around mile 18??? and taping you on your shoulder to say hi.

I'll never forget taping you on your shoulder to say "we're almost there" somewhere around mile 25.

I ran so many miles with you before Las Vegas reading your blog entries and to have been able to run some actual miles with you pulling me forward meant a lot.

Mile 25 and 26 were agony and I won't forget that you were there and that we ran through it together. I deeply regret not being able to shake your hand at the end.

Thanks Scott. We'll have to do it again!

Deene said...

Hi, it's Deene. Sorry to run off at the Macaroni Grill after the flash meeting but I really needed to get some rest. Congratulations on your great run!