Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Wherein Scott Solicits Advice from the Blogosphere

Reading Drew's latest post, got me wondering about my own training program. I ran the 20 miler my plan called for this past Friday. The plan has me doing a 12 miler this weekend, an 8 miler the next weekend, three short runs the week of the race, a few days rest and then BAM, Vegas Baby!

I wasn't all that satisfied with my performance this past week and I'm not feeling as confident as I'd like to be at this point. I finished the run without undue pain and without injury but I walked a lot and came in almost a full minute per mile slower that I usually run my distance runs at. I'm considering running the short runs per the plan this week and then doing one more long run before I start my candle. What, dear readers, do you think of this idea?

Main Entry: 1ta·per
Pronunciation: 'tA-p&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English tapor candle, wick, perhaps modification of Latin papyrus papyrus
1 a : a slender candle b : a long waxed wick used especially for lighting candles, lamps, pipes, or fires c : a feeble light

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are two major things I'm counting on to get me through the marathon. The first is all the mileage I've put in for the past 4-5 months. The second is the extra rest and recovery afforded by the taper.

I've read in a number of places that any hard work you do less than two weeks out from the race does nothing for the race itself. You're right on the border, so that makes the choice to run one more long run a tough one.

I guess the deciding factor for me would be how well I had recovered from some of my previous long runs. It takes me a good three days to feel anything but weak and sore. If you feel like you're recovering well from you other longer runs, you might be able to get away with it. I know that my body will need this time to rest. But that's my 42-year-old body talking.

Regardless of what you decide, you're going to smoke me on race day!

:) said...

Um...it's not on "the plan"...

WWHD? (what would hal do?)

I say no.

Unknown said...

I think I'll put in one more long one and then fark around with raquetball and short runs until the race.

Just think about how good it feels to run when you haven't run in a while...

Unknown said...

coach has me on a two week taper plan, so i end up doing my last 20+ two weeks before the big day. i don't think it'll hurt you, especially if it gives you more confidence in your abilities.

go for it.

About Me: said...

i'd advise against another long run. only cause i think drew (it was drew i think) said what i'd read - the last coupla weeks are recovery/short runs and don't add anything. the work is done

however, if mentally it would do you good and you phsyically have had little problems, a 12- 15 miler or so on saturday might not be the end of the world.

warning: i'm undertrained and the last, farthest thing from a running expert.