Friday, November 11, 2005

Taper is Here, Yes!

Tu Oh, Two Zero, 20. I can’t say I ran it well, but I ran it. According to the forerunner my average pace was 10:14, which is just about a minute per mile slower that I usually run. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I hit that wall big time somewhere around mile 17. By the time I got home I had devolved to the point where I would have to pick a landmark ahead and force myself to keep running to it and then walking for a minute or 45 seconds before picking a new landmark. It didn’t help that at about mile 16 the driving cooolllldddd rain started pounding down. On the positive side. My darling wife drove out twice to check on me and give me water and gel. I’m a lucky man.

But, I made it and without any pain or injury. While in the shower after, I kept hearing this sweet seductive voice faintly calling my name. Moving into the bedroom I found that it was my bed calling to me. Like a zombie I crawled in and almost cried from shear happiness.

I was supposed to leave work yesterday to drive down to Vancouver for my night class at 4:30. At 4:15 I decided to cut out a little early and stop by the store for a few things. Last night when I got home I found that the following email from the printing place had come into my inbox at 4:28:

“Hello! Your shirts are in! They look GREAT!! I think you will be very
pleased. Feel free to stop by anytime and pick them up. Our hours are
Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:30pm, see you soon.”

Drat. I can’t say I didn’t deserve it, though. I guessing if you call my work line at about 8:45, Monday, you won't get an answer.

I’ve got a cuppa tea and a new video game to help my stay stationary this afternoon. Tomorrow early, we’ll drive over to Keith and Natalia’s for quilting and beers. Yahoo!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you love/hate that wall? Man is it brutal some times. You're like, man, I could stop right now, but I'm miles from home. Dammit. I usually end up having vivid fantasies involving peaches and cottage cheese.

What game?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got a big rush of "I did it!" earlier today as I also finished my longest run.

I'm looking forward to the taper. It's downhill all the way to Vegas!

:) said...

Way to go on the 20. That's practically a marathon!