Sunday, September 18, 2005

Weekend Long Run

WEEK TOTALS
Running: 21.7 miles
Time: 3h 20m 38s
Avg. Pace: 9:15/mile
MONTH TOTALS
Running: 54.8 miles
Time: 8h 29m 47s
Avg. Pace: 9:18/mile
YEAR TOTALS
Running: 258.1 miles
Time: 1 day, 4h 24m 16s
Avg. Pace: 9:25/mile

Twelve miles today in one hour and 52 minutes. I went out to Willow Grove, which is surrounded by a six mile long looped levi with the Columbia River on one side and a dike on the backside. In the middle is mostly sleepy grazing land and little farm houses. Its quiet. People in pickups and SUVs wave at you and get completely in the other lane as they pass. Old men are particularly prone to the two or three finger wave from where their had is resting atop the steering wheel. In other words its a pleasant place for run.

Ever since Mr Toad's Wild Ride, I've had this reocurring, lancing pain that shoots up the left side of my knee with I push things. It started out behind my knee and has migrated to the outside. If I take shorter runs and rest up for a week, its mostly gone by my weekend long run. I've sort been deal making with this pain. "If you let me have my weekend run, I won't push it during the week." This seems to be working.

Anyway, the pain went running with me today and seemed to be enjoying itself immensly. It doesn't really hurt much when I'm running, just later when I want to go up and down the stairs, etc. I wasn't getting the most out of my run and was worrying about The Pain until about mile eight when I passed some sort of mental hurdle and relaxed. It seemed that my breathing came easier, the fatigue melted away and I felt obscenely happy. Maybe I got a good squirt of brain chemicals. Who knows? Feeling pretty good now after my ice bath and some rehydration.

One more week of slackertude and then I start back up on the Vegas shirts. I promise.

If you run with an mp3 player and haven't checked out Steve Runner's podcast yet do so right now by going to steverunner.com to get his rss feed. I've found his episodes to be uniformly entertaining and informative. If you don't know what I'm talking about with this podcast/rss stuff, email me.

As he says at the end of his casts, Run Long and Taper.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You know...I haven't run since the race. My shins kinda felt strained...soooo I decided to medicate with Henry Weinhards.

I love it when people wave and get the fark over. More often then not I have some college kid trying to run me over. I spit big nasty running lugies on their cars.

I have a Big Toe Pain that lets me know when I'm pushing my distances. It feels like my right big toe is coming out of socket every stride. It rocks.

What is this ice bath? It sounds strgiht up unpleasent.

Scott in Washington said...

Kap,

Are you an over pronator? Does the toe thing relate to how much you pronate or is it a symptom of some previous injury or symptom of some genetic indignity?

For me, the ice bath means putting an inch or so of warm water into the tub, getting in and switching the water to cold. Once its high enough to cover my legs I turn it off and sit there, running a plastic bag full of mixed ice and cold water against my legs at various places and doing little stretches and abortive massaging. When I get bored with this or uncomfortable chilly I stand up and shower down.

About Me: said...

that lovely running path sounds nice. i love waving and people pulling over....the scenery reminds me of a similar, recent training exercise i had. only mine was on a bike and i could only scowl at the cars happily driving effortlessly up ginormous hills while my bike nearly wobbled as if to topple over from hardly moving. wait, where was i...
ok, keep an eye on that itb band! are you doing a lot of stretches even on non running days? and in particular after your runs? i'm sure you are, but i just knoww that itb and what a torture it can be.

well, would you look at the tme? better go book my vegas accomodations!

Danny said...

checked out steverunner.com. surprisingly, it was pretty interesting. i'll have to check out the "back issues".

thanks.

Anonymous said...

Scott, Susan and Danny: Thanks for the kind words about my PodCast...I produce them weekly and try to keep them around 30 minutes per show (about the amount of time it would take to run a 5K). I'm finishing up a show that will go up on the server this weekend about "Long Slow Runs" that will probably be a bit longer than 30 (I recorded it during a 20 miler).

Run long and taper!

- Steve Runner