Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tri'ing to Run to Work

After a two month trial separation period, I’ve decided to go back, embrace schizophrenia, and post to two different blogs. Henceforth I will once again blog exercise related topics on Scott’s Running and everything else on the Clark Creek blog.

Today was my first day back in the pool. I hope this will become my first regular swimming in over ten years. I swam laps on my lunch break today, keeping going without any significant resting for 45 minutes. After the first 4-5 laps I was totally beat and had to spend one pool length doing a lazy back paddle. After that, I crawled one length and then did the sidestroke or elementary back stroke back. My goal is to try to steadily increase the number of crawl laps I can do without losing my breath.

Boy, do I have a long way to go – both fitness wise, and in learning technique. I’m lucky to have an enthusiastic coach as I am learning that unlike with running, improving my swim technique will rely heavily on external observation and suggestion.

I was pretty beat after lunch. My quads, tri’s and back were aching, but I used almost none of the muscles I do when I run, so I ran home from work. On the way I listened to an interesting podcast of an interview with Olympic runner Frank Shorter. Just as I was getting to the last mile and thinking that while I wasn’t really tired, and far from pain, I was getting a little bored, my darling wife showed up to pick me up. She decided that 45 minutes was long enough to leave me out there after first swimming day and came to get me – now that’s love.

No comments: