Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Running!

Non-runners may not get this but then they probably won't come here anyway.

Today was the day the students all come back from winter break so it was hectic at work - manageably so this time but busy none the less. At about 4:30 I started to think about my exit strategy to go do my run. At 5:30 I had to literally sidestep someone in the door to my office and say that the work day was over, it will wait until tomorrow, etc. I got to the lake at 5:34. My usual circuit is 3.7 miles. I promised I'd be home tonight before 6 so my wife could go meet her friend for a little shopping (much deserved respite). So by the time I got to the lake, I figured I only had time for one section, which turned out to be the .57 mile section between a foot bridge and the Louisiana Street Bridge. It was darking, raining, and starting to get cold. I stretched out for 20 minutes at lunch today so I was still feeling pretty limber as I got out of the car. As I started out, I decided pacing myself was unnecessary as the distance would be so short. As I started around, I picked up speed and by halfway through the short run I was at full speed. It felt really good. There is no way I could maintain that pace for any distance but knowing I only had minutes left in the run allowed me to power through my oxygen and enjoy going faster and faster. I arrived home with time to spare and feeling quite refreshed.

1 comment:

About Me: said...

i LOVE those power speed runs!!! Some might say, all that trouble for a half mile? but not i. bring on the half mile sprints!