Saturday, March 25, 2006

The First Step to Recovery: Good Drugs

I'm feeling better (no you're not). The title of this post is a bit of a nod to the denial I've fallen prey to recently. First, I decided I was well before I was and tried to go back to work too soon. Secondly, not going to the doctor for help with the flu.


Remember the caravan scene in the movie Gladiator where Russell is passing in and out of consciousness while clouds spill across the sky in fast forward? There has been a bit of that for me recently - wake up, its morning, wake up again, its early afternoon. How did that happen? Only I didn't have a gladius wound on my shoulder and pajamas were involved.

Two days ago I finally went to see the doctor, who gave me antibiotics for my lungs and blessed codeine to help me sleep through the night without impersonating a mustard gas victim. Since then I have steadily improved to the point where work on Monday is a foregone conclusion/victory. Yesterday I felt pretty good but little tasks like washing my hair would tucker me out and force me to lie down for a while. Today I can take a shower and make the bed, all in a row. Take that flu bug!

I’ve always been fairly healthy. By that I don’t mean I eat the prerequisite helpings of veggies. I mean I have been blessed with good genes and fortuitous circumstances. Getting ill enough to spend a couple of weeks out of it and then be as weak as the old people who shuffle around the grocery store with two items in the cart they are using as a walker, makes me all the more determined to lead a healthy and active life so as to keep the strength and ability that it is so easy to take for granted.

Keep running and keep blogging about it. If nothing else you are inspiring us invalids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

I'd like to think that if you hadn't been in decent shape you'd be even more knocked out. And you'll probably bounce back much more quickly now that you're on the mend.

Unknown said...

"Don't die yet."

Anonymous said...

You make the bed?

Scott in Washington said...

Sure, if I didn't make the bed, where else would I pile the clean laundry to leave for somebody else to fold?